Saturday, August 22, 2009

A Short Sermon on Healthcare Reform as a Moral Imperative

Roger Ebert, yes that one, is a cancer survivor. He delivers a beautiful essay on healthcare reform and why a moral society would ban together and push for the American Plan to provide basic medical service to every American. It ends with this quote...

...for I was hungry and you gave me no food, I was thirsty and you gave me no drink,

I was a stranger and you did not welcome me, naked and you did not clothe me, sick and in prison and you did not visit me."

Then they also will answer, "Lord, when did we see thee hungry or thirsty or a stranger or naked or sick or in prison, and did not minister to thee?"

Then he will answer them, "Truly, I say to you, as you did it not to one of the least of these, you did it not to me."

This story goes badly for the folks who did not provide universal care.

Thank you Mr. Ebert

3 comments:

  1. Touching post. Says it all in a very few words.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jesus is quoted; HIS message is to individuals, not the government. We, HIS people are called to feed the hungry, take care of the sick. That is the only position the government should take: encourage we the people to fulfill that calling. The government is as moral or amoral as those in office. What government program do you know that is operated efficiently and fully effective. This universal health care push is for control of our basic freedom - to manager our own lives.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Other than the silliness of your claim, you are arguing for people to continue to lose their coverage when they get sick, change jobs, or have a pre-existing condition. Where's the morality in that?

    ReplyDelete