Wednesday, November 03, 2004

Not much sleep this morning and I'm pretty bummed out. I had this result in my realm of possibilities so It is not any surprise except for who voted how and why. To sum it up is easy:

Bush won the scared people vote. He won the hate vote. He won the "God told me to" vote.

His team was very highly motivated since some of them would probably go to jail if they lost.

Kerry was trying to do what was right and say truthful things even though the other side was not held to that constraint. T'aint fair, but 'tis politics!

I'm proud of my kids for choosing to work in this campaign. They made phone calls, knocked on doors. held up signs and suffered the abuse of foul mouthed adults yelling obscenities at them as they drove by. I did not ask them to do this, and frankly I was not sure they should have but they chose to and I let them. We'll see what they learned and how they feel after working hard and losing the big one. Talking to them this morning, they seem ready to get back at it. They'll hear some things at school that will be unkind and they're prepared for that, with a few snappy comebacks. They did win both the local elections they worked on so they're 2 fer 3.

I, unfortunately only cared about one race, and I lost. One of our conservatives sent me a note asking if I would settle down and support the President if Bush won. I said probably not! I care about issues and the man is secondary.

I still think the environment is the most important issue we have to deal with. We have to start taking the long view here. I do not believe in a preordained Armageddon but I can see it happening if we don't change course.

I still think personal freedom is a huge issue. I want the President to face people wearing t-shirts he doesn't like. The rest of us do it all the time. What's up with him?

I don't think John Ashcroft has any business knowing what library books I check out.

I got guns, too! But dang, I'm willing to limit my armament to conventional arms if you will. Seems fair to me but not the NRA.

I don't think George Bush should have any say so as far as the internal workings of a woman's body. John Ashcroft or Jerry Falwell either, and by saying that I'm not assuming any of them have any idea about how a woman's body actually works.

I don't care who marries whom, and I don't think it is anybody's business if basic social rights and considerations are given to those who so choose to obey the dictates of their internal programming as long as they ask and receive permission.

I don't think we ought to torture people for any reason whatsoever. It's just plain mean, and I don't like it.

I don't think it is ok to invade countries who didn't attack you first. Particularly if you are ignorant and incompetent at the job.

So you see...the work doesn't end. Now it really starts.

Courage!

Steve

No comments:

Post a Comment