Tuesday, February 22, 2005

Wrongway birds

Well I noticed somthing different in the bird world, this weekend. Normally we have several bald eagles that roost somewhere up the creek. Early in the morning, they usually fly out to Watts Bar Lake to begin their work day. Because of the great backyard bird count this weekend I paid closer attention to something that caught my eye a few weeks back...We have an eagle going the wrong way!

There it is, morning after morning flying UP the creek.

Wassup widdat? Could it be this bird is one of the ones that roost on the lake and has taken to visiting a "close friend" up the creek?

I heard rumors from unreliable sources that there was a nest on the creek last year, but I was unable to locate it. Most "eagle" nests turn out to be Ospreys.

The boys and I were forced to carry kayaks up to the confluence of Piney Creek and White's Creek yesterday due to the heavy rainfall and resulting large crashing surfable waves in the creek. Shortly after we put in I was floating backwards watching my kids play in the whitewater when I noticed what could be a huge nest on top of the ridge. It's on my land so I will check on it and report back. If it is a nest, it will change my plans to build a pond on that tract of land this spring.

I'm fine with that.

*****

How does an editorial columnist from a red state come to an un-Red conclusion about George W. Bush, asking this question:

While stating the budget was in line with his commitment to cut the deficit in half by 2009, Bush failed to mention the three items that weren't in the budget. First, there is the cost the war in Iraq. Next up, we have the $1 trillion (at least) price tag to privatize Social Security. And lastly, there is the continuation of the tax cuts, which are set to expire, but that Bush said he wants to make permanent.

In other words, this budget isn't very truthful. In fact, deceptive is about the nicest description you can use for it.

This is a time when I wished someone would ask the obvious question of the president:

Are you really bad at math, or are you lying to us?

I think the obvious answer is: Yes!

http://www.nevadaappeal.com/article/20050220/OPINION/102200026


"America: just a nation of two hundred million used car salesmen with all the money we need to buy guns and no qualms about killing anybody else in the world who tries to make us uncomfortable."

Hunter S. Thomson qoutes:

The Guardian

A very good, short, personal remembrance:

Rude Pundit


Bubba has a short comparison of two US presidents.

One:

Despite being crippled in his prime by polio, was elected four times by a grateful, adoring nation, leading to the 22nd Amendment limiting presidents to two terms.

The other one:

Despite being mentally crippled by years of substance abuse, was elected twice by a stupid, uninformed, God-loving, evil-hating, queer-fearing nation, leading to calls for repeal of the 22nd Amendment.

Go:

SKB

Quote of the day:

"I don't want any kid doing what I tried to do 30 years ago...And I mean that. It doesn't matter if it's LSD, cocaine, pot, any of those things..."

....George W. Bush heard on the Wead tapes

Peace,

Steve

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous7:33 PM

    Where I lived out West (Verde Valley, Ariz.), wildlife officials often posted eagle watchers to make sure the nesting birds got through the season unscathed. Nice work, if you could get it. A friend of mine pulled a stint. Camped out there until the eaglets fledged.

    I remember working with the Audubon Society there to restore cottonwoods along the Verde River. It was hard work.

    But our payoff was when a bald eagle landed in one of the remaining full-sized cottonwoods and watched us work for a long spell.

    We were sanctified.

    ReplyDelete