Sunday, April 02, 2006

Changing Time

Time doesn't change much, actually. Clocks do. This morning most of my clocks have changed themselves. The one on my wrist needs a little work but the one down in the corner of my computer screen thinks it's Spring forward time now.

I don't like it.

Way back in the old days, I could get up at my usual time, a little before daylight, and have an hour or two by myself, just me and the world, before the demands of family life and society would take over. There was time to enjoy the morning light, soft in Spring and pastel colored...Maple red and Tulip Poplar green between fading Sarvis berry blossoms and the yellow Dogwood buds announcing an impending pop into white bloom.

And, geez, at the bird noise.

Before they screwed up the clocks, I had plenty of time for those morning walks which sometimes turned into hikes...And do you realize that if you walk into the woods and be still for a few minutes, the animals will forget about you and go about their business? They have things to do and you get to watch. Only you don't because your government has banned Free time in the morning.

They call it "Daylight savings time" which illustrates as much as anything how stupid Americans are. Let me let you in on a little secret your government is hiding...Today is going to be the same length no matter what the clock says.

We aren't saving a damned thing.

You can't save Daylight, people! You gotta use it as it flies by.

Now go outside and breathe the morning air. (I've already had a hike today, just so you'll feel jealous)

Peace,

Steve

*****

I can't put my finger on exactly why I like this picture. In a couple of months, this momma is going to beat the crap out of her baby and make it leave home forever, but for now, all is good.

Close to Momma



Redwing

I never knew that those little red thingies on a blackbird's wings could flap all by themselves. They flare out and vibrate during a territorial display, as this shot demonstrates. Cool, huh?

1 comment:

  1. As a child, I always considered the red-winged blackbird the sergeant of arms of the animal kingdom because of its patches.

    Ever see a tri-colored blackbird?

    ReplyDelete