Sunday, June 05, 2011

Camping With the Blue Ghost

I don't have a picture of these little guys but we had one float right into camp last night.


These caught our collective eye as we hiked and swam. It made for an interesting installation on the edge of the campsite. Variously, there are bottles, galls, fossil rocks, a gig made with duck tape and a hand forged fork, shell casings, and a driftwood unicorn.

I have always wanted to see a walking fern and now I have. This one grows on a sandstone ledge. The tips of the fronds seek out the ground and will sprout a new plant if things go well.

The fern count for the weekend is 14:


Christmas fern
intermediate wood fern
bracken
lady fern
hay scented fern
horseshoe maidenhair
walking
New York Fern
Rock Cap fern
Royal fern
Climbing fern
maidenhair spleenwort
rattlesnake fern
ebony spleenwort

1 comment:

  1. I have always wanted to see a walking fern and now I have. This one grows on a sandstone ledge. Trees For Sale

    ReplyDelete