Monday, January 21, 2008

...how much, baby, do we really need

This is about someone I used to listen to for hours on end... John Stewart.

No, not him. Jon Stewart's last name is Leibowitz, anyway.

Sometimes I thought of myself as the fourth member...I played those old vinyls and belted it out, as "Charlie's wife hands him a sandwich" beneath the streets of Boston. Some folks will know what I'm talking about.

No, I'm referring to the John Stewart who was in the Kingston Trio for seven years. He wrote 600 or so songs and passed away yesterday. Here is one of his songs. A Monkees song:

If I could hide 'neath the wings
Of the bluebird as she sings
The six o'clock alarm would never ring
But it rings and I rise
Rub the sleep out of my eyes
The shaving razor's old and it stings

But cheer up, sleepy Jean
Ah, what can it mean
To a daydream believer
And a homecoming queen

You once thought of me
As a white knight on his steed
But now you know how funky I can be
And our good times start and end
Without dollar one to spend
But how much, baby, do we really need

John Stewart

Just the facts

Peace, John...

Steve

No comments:

Post a Comment