Sunday, January 06, 2008

The Real Tragedy

Another round of debates went down yesterday with folks paying a lot more attention than before. Rather than give you my version, I'll refer you to a group analysis that I usually find enlightening.

If Obama wins on Tuesday, it is probably over, particularly for Hillary if she comes in third. At any rate with Obama in the lead I'm already seeing racist astroturf and spam from all directions, so apparently, the evil mad men behind the failing GOP machine are retargeting from Hillary to Barry.

Here're the punch lines of a noxious example from yesterday's batch:

"Isn't there someone here who can give me an example of a tragedy?" Finally at the back of the room little Johnny raises his hand. In a stern voice he says: "If a plane carrying the Reverends Jackson and Sharpton were struck by a missile and blown to smithereens that would be a tragedy.""Fantastic!" exclaims Jackson and Sharpton, "That's right. And can you tell me why that would be a tragedy?""Well," says little Johnny, "because it sure as hell wouldn't be a great loss, and it probably wouldn't be an accident either."


I understand where things like this come from. What I don't understand is why otherwise intelligent and caring human beings would forward such bigoted drivel that essentially...

Endorses murder!

I believe America, in its majority, is beyond this type of low life nastiness as seen by the fact that Barack Obama won the Democratic Caucus in a state that is 98% white. In addition the republican winner, a Southern Baptist preacher who ran an attack ad against his main opponent for not executing enough prisoners, received only about half the number of votes Obama got.

Mike Huckabee came in forth overall to a man I keep hearing is black. Frankly, I can't see how any person who was raised by his white mother can be called "black". I don't think of Barry Obama as being any more of a black guy than Bob Marley or Lenny Kravitz, but it's a poor world we live in that can't see shades of gray.

It is a sick sick part of the Republican leadership that would still try to exploit such a vile social disease as bigotry.

Peace,
Steve

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous8:26 PM

    And they will continue to do so. And they will, unfortunately, be successful.

    Believe me, bro'. I don't see anyone on either side as being perfect. Kucinich would be closest to that mark.
    I am vocally positive about Edwards for several reasons, the primary reason being that I know, as you do, just how closet racist and misogynistic this nation still is.

    Many of the youngsters don't understand because of more people hiding their true views. But those people who started all the race riots in the sixties and seventies are still here and voting. It's not a thing of the past. It's better, but nowhere near gone. Just in the closet.

    Neither Hillary nor Obama can win a general election against the white male Republican candidate. As sad as it is, it's reality.

    Take Ohio for example...
    LINK

    Local indicators see Edwards as leading all GOP candidates there. Will the Dems throw the resoundingly racist and incredibly important Ohio away for a pipe dream?

    Though I will never cast a vote for a Clinton under any circumstances, I will vote for Obama if he's the nominee. But those that think that a black guy named Barack Obama can win in November really need to take off the blinders and check the history books. Seeing how many African Americans have been elected President in the past, the odds don't look too good. And this is absolutely the wrong time in history to take that chance.

    If Edwards is the nominee, he will win in November. If it's Hillary or Obama, it's probably over.
    I've been accused of being the only one with this view. I'm not. The corporate, Republican friendly media outlets see it that way too. That's why Hillary and Obama have gotten all the hype.

    Being a realist ain't easy. ;)

    ReplyDelete