Wednesday, March 23, 2005

a Liberal's Liberal

Ok, I'm back from I 40 hell. Why the great state of Tennessee can't get its act together and deal with wrecks without turning the main coast to coast traffic artery into a parking lot, I'd like to know! It should not take 4 h
ours to get home from Nashville. Other states handle things like this pretty well, why can't we?

I sat for one hour without moving, while four monster truck wreckers removed one semi from the median strip of I 40. Let's see...the parking lot was roughly 8 miles long so that's 1,408 vehicles with 1.5 humans per, so just over 2000 people were sitting there giving up more than an hour of their lives for something that could have been done much more conveniently.

I figure the wreckers should pay the folks stopped on the road reimbursement for being held captive in the rain with no bathrooms. The amount I calculate is somewhere near $211,200.00...A cost that is never figured into these things. that doesn't complain the overage minutes everybody will have on their cell phones for explaining why they won't get home in time to pick up the kid from soccer practice.

Gripe, gripe, gripe, OK, there I'm done.


Shook hands and chatted with Howard Dean at lunch yesterday.

(Thanks, Randy! YUDAMAN)

I am a Dean fan. Listening to him speak in person has changed how I view him...I'm twice the fan I was. I wish I could have recorded his talk and just printed it here for you guys. Unfortunately I can't remember squat, so here's a little bit from the Tennessean.





Howard Dean

I'll tell you more later when I have time.






A Jewish friend of mine says we make way too big an issue of Christmas...Easter is the franchise! I agree. But Churchies are throwing around bible verses left and right with all that's going on right now...Ok, more "right" than left. The rightwingers are pretty much in your face with their religion pretenses.

An attack ad was run by the Republicans while Dean was in town calling him:

a ''Northeastern liberal.'' It also labeled Dean and Democratic Gov. Phil Bredesen as ''peas in a pod.''
''I've been called worse things than a liberal,'' Dean said. ''The reason the Republicans call names is because they have nothing to say about balancing the budget, creating jobs or doing anything about health care or education.''

There's that attack word, "Liberal" again. Jesus was a Liberal's Liberal but you would never know that from the religious radio show that I listened to out of curiosity while parked in the left lane. As they twisted things in their attacks, I thought of this verse:

“Woe to you lawyers! For you have taken away the key of knowledge. You did not enter in yourselves, and those who were entering in you hindered.” And as He said these things to them, the scribes and the Pharisees began to assail Him vehemently, and to cross-examine Him about many things, lying in wait for Him, and seeking to catch Him in something He might say, that they might accuse Him.” (Luke 11:52-54)

So here's an Easter thought for you,

If Jesus returned today, what would Republicans do to him?


Today's "religious" right wingers worship Meanness of Spirit, a greed-driven war-loving totalitarianism. The only way to salvation, they say is THEIR way, through a nature-hating Authority that tramples all Jesus preached.

As Tecumseh, the great Shawnee spirit-warrior, allegedly shouted at William Henry Harrison in the early 1800s: "When Jesus Christ came upon the Earth, you killed him. The son of your own God. And only after he was dead did you worship him and start killing those who would not. "

An Easter message:

They killed him last time...and they will kill him next time, too!


freepress

Peace,

Steve

*****
Leno

Isn't it amazing? Robert Blake was found not guilty. And his lawyer was very clever. The defense was based on the premise "What kind of idiot kills his wife after buying her dinner?"

Well, folks, on the second anniversary of the invasion of Iraq, gas prices in California have hit three dollars a gallon in some places. Three dollars a gallon! Didn't we win that war? I mean, I know there's no weapons of mass destruction, but apparently there's no gas there either.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous5:19 PM

    Thought you would enjoy this. I enjoy singing it to Christians as often as possible. It also figures what republicans would do with Jesus he he appears again. Hope you are well. Need to get together next time you are in Long Creek. Seumas

    Owed to John Prine by Kris Kristofferson

    Jesus was a capricorn he ate organic food

    He believed in love and peace and

    Never wore no shoes

    Long hair, beard and sandals and

    A funky bunch of friends

    Reckon they’d just nail him up if He came back again

    Chorus

    Cause everybody's got to have somebody to look down on

    Who they can feel better than at any time they chose

    Someone doin’ somethin’ dirty decent folks can frown on

    If you can’t find nobody else then help yourself to me.

    Egg heads cussin’ rednecks cussin’ hippies for their hair

    Others laugh at straights who laugh at freeks who laugh at squares

    Some folks hate the whites who hate the black who hate klan

    Most of us hate anything that we don’t understand

    Chorus

    Repeat first wonderful verse.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tecumseh -- now you're talking my about my people. I've got a healthy dose of the blood. I'm descended from the Southern Illinois, Shawnee National Forest-namesake Shawnee.

    ReplyDelete