Saturday, January 05, 2008

An Epitaph

I don't know what else to say about this, except to say that I must cry too easily...A Soldier is dead in his own words:

I write this in part, admittedly, because I would like to think that there's at least a little something out there to remember me by. Granted, this site will eventually vanish, being ephemeral in a very real sense of the word, but at least for a time it can serve as a tiny record of my contributions to the world. But on a larger scale, for those who knew me well enough to be saddened by my death, especially for those who haven't known anyone else lost to this war, perhaps my death can serve as a small reminder of the costs of war. Regardless of the merits of this war, or of any war, I think that many of us in America have forgotten that war means death and suffering in wholesale lots. A decision that for most of us in America was academic, whether or not to go to war in Iraq, had very real consequences for hundreds of thousands of people. Yet I was as guilty as anyone of minimizing those very real consequences in lieu of a cold discussion of theoretical merits of war and peace. Now I'm facing some very real consequences of that decision;

who says life doesn't have a sense of humor?



If I have read anything that makes me hate more this war, I cannot remember it.

America seems to have forgotten Iraq as its financial situation continues what may become a death spiral.

Life may have a sense of humor...Death does not.

Andy Olmstead

Peace,
Steve

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous2:04 PM

    This fine young man asked that we don't use him for political ends. I hope he can forgive me for being unable to comply.

    This is the kind of tragic waste of life that the Big Lie has brought. Though this is by no means the only one.
    Now, because of the deceit of evil men, another family has lost it's loved one. Another brave soldier lost his life. Another nation lost one of it's finest citizens.

    I can only hope that in the future those that have sacrificed this young man's life on the alter of greed somehow pay an even higher price.

    ReplyDelete