Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Endorsements

As most of you know, I am helping out with some local campaigns in Roane County. It has been like living in an anthropological research project, listening to why some people are supporting certain candidates and what they believe of the rumors and gossip. It would be fascinating if it weren't so tragic. I want to hold off on some of the inside stuff I'm picking up because it really shouldn't be used in a campaign, but there's some funny stuff so I won't be able to hold it in forever.

I'm waiting for the negative ads to start...

"Van Hillary has failed to tell us where he stands on the torture of family pets! Tell us, Van...How many times did you adopt a kitten in order to cut out its heart like your friend, Bill Frist?...Van Hillary...Wrong on Kitty torture...Wrong for Tennesee!"

...(paid for by Citizens against killing kitties)..and yes, I know I misspelled his name.

So my candidate has received a big union endorsement. But I'm curious...With all the right wing anti union blather, is a Union endorsement good or bad? At one time, there was a great divide between union members and the rest of the work force, but I don't think that stands any more. Neither is the Union endorsement as powerful as it once was, but it does signify a certain mutual respect between the Union and a candidate. It seems to me to be more of a "This person will understand our position and arguments on certain issues" rather than "This guy will give us what we want" as it used to mean.

Anyway, what do you guys think? I'm curious.

Steve

4 comments:

  1. Union endorsments are good, just maybe not in a state where unions have very little power like Tennessee.

    Powerless unions normally present single-issue endorsments. The electrician's union in Kingsport is endorsing Ford Jr.
    Still not sure why. In his years as a congressman, I know of no solid support he's given to labor other than a "good word".
    Perhaps he's done something in his district worth mentioning.

    As for Van Hilleary, If he stands for anything it's probably counter productive. There's never been a bigger idiot in Tennessee politics.

    And don't worry about spelling his name like "her's". :D She's almost as bad as he is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous8:46 PM

    --The electrician's union in Kingsport is endorsing Ford Jr.
    Still not sure why. In his years as a congressman, I know of no solid support he's given to labor other than a "good word".--

    We live in hope.
    Not Hope, where the Big Dog was birthed, but little h hope, a place Van H and the other two stooges won't even let us dream about.
    And, staying with the sloganeering, I am astounded to find myself hoping that there's a Ford in our future.
    p.s.: you're pretty damn brave, Whites Creek, allowing anonymous comments--

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found that some folks have to post as anonymous, and it's worked out fine so far. I do have to zap an ad post from time to time. If it gets mean or crazy, I'll change it.

    Steve

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous9:19 AM

    I was trying to find Roane co. election results and came across yr blog..I also helped in Roane co and I was amazed by the negative campaigning there..and the money spent in this campaign!

    ReplyDelete