Saturday, March 01, 2008

Winners

If you are reading this then you probably survived Leap Day. (I say "probably" because there is always that remote possibility that you didn't survive Leap Day and are still somehow reading this, so I'm hedging my bets. Dead people don't talk to me, near as I can tell, so I don't know for sure.)

So for all you survivors, it is another beautiful day in paradise. Spring is barreling down the calendar because we have one of those day after the storm situations, here in the Gorge, and it's warmer not colder. I've been outside in my Crocs and a t-shirt testing things, and I hereby pronounce it a blue sky, birds singing, Spring's close, day. It's affecting me in all the normal ways. I even took a seed and flower catalogue to the reading room, and I don't think there's a better sign of Spring unless it was those two nuthatches doing their twirl over displays and giving each other mean looks in the dogwood tree just now. I'm never sure whether the "mean looks" relate to "get out of my tree" or flirting. The animal kingdom seems just as mixed up in that respect as humankind, so it's probably both.

The turkey vultures are even pairing off and flying really tight circles as they descend toward the creek down below. They aren't as spectacular as the Black vultures when trying to impress a lady friend, but vulture love and courtship doesn't necessarily need thousand foot dives and swoops to win a heart. A little finessful figure gliding apparently serves well enough to indicate the sensitive side of our local carrion eaters.

Things are just starting and we have some bad weather still ahead But I plan to enjoy the chance to get outside in light clothing while I can.

So if you are reading this, not only did you survive Leap Day but you're sitting around looking at a computer screen or somthing...You ought to quit reading and go outside while you still can.

Life is not really about dying with the most toys...The winners are the ones who enjoy themselves and have the most fun.

I'm going outside now...make your own choices.

Peace,

Steve

No comments:

Post a Comment